If you like quick and easy, simmer all day food while you write your next novel or content article, my fast and easy traditional beef stew recipe will serve your needs. Once you have it all put together, you can let it simmer on the stove or in your crock pot (slow cooler) all day.
1 Beef Roast (just pick your favorite cut. I usually choose whatever is on sale)
3 large potatoes or 2 cans of diced potatoes
1 large container of beef broth (48 ounce or better usually works great)
1 frozen bag of carrots
1 frozen bag of peas
1 frozen fajitas mix peppers and onions
1 bag of frozen corn
1 packet of instant beef gravy
1. Cut your roast into cubes. These can be as large or small as you like. Put some butter in your large pot or skillet (If you’re using a crockpot, you’ll need to brown your cubes of beef in a skillet) Next, add your beef cubes and cook until the outsides are brown. You can add some salt and pepper during this stage. Spice usage is up to your acquired taste, and obviously, if you cannot use salt due to a medical condition, you’ll want to leave it out.
If you’re wondering if you can just put your beef in raw without searing it, you can, but the searing process helps lock in the flavor of the beef.
2. Next add your bag of fajita peppers and onions to the stew beef. Let it all simmer together, but keep an eye on it so that it doesn’t burn. This shouldn’t take more than 10 or 15 minutes.
3. Add your beef broth, garlic powder and celery salt. You can add as much garlic and celery salt as you like. Again, the spices should be adjusted for your taste and preference. For most people, a couple shakes is all that’s needed.
4. Add all the frozen vegetables and the potatoes (Don’t forget to rinse and dice your potatoes if you used real potatoes) If you chose to used canned potatoes, you just need to open the cans, rinse the cubes and add them. Once you are finished adding the rest of the vegetables, add water until all the vegetables are covered.
5. Put your lid on and simmer. You’ll want to periodically check your pot and add water as needed.
6. You may be wondering what the packet of instant gravy is for. Beef stew should be thick. Otherwise, it’s just chunky beef and vegetable soup. Once you are about 30 to 45 minutes out from eating, you’ll mix the packet of gravy in about half a cup of water until it’s all combined. Then, you will add that to your beef stew. Make sure to stir your beef stew until the gravy mix is completely combined. If you just pour it in, it will thicken in a chunk, and you will have beef stew with gravy chunks. This option is an alternative to adding corn starch or flour to thicken your beef stew.
Can You Substitute Things or Remove Things?
Absolutely. You can also use red wine instead of beef broth, but if there's something in this incgredient's list you can't eat or don't like, you can adjust to suit your needs. For example, if you don't like corn and green beans, you can just add more potatoes and carrots.
Can This Be a Spicy Beef Stew?
Absolutely. If you want to add cayene, red pepper flakes, chili powder or your favorite hot spices, you can add a few.
Once you’re done writing or ready for a break many hours later, have some stew! My recommendation is that you let it simmer at least 3 hours, preferably longer.